Whether eaten with a side of your favorite chips or paired with a bowl of steamy tomato or vegetable soup, there’s nothing better than a crunchy, melty, buttery grilled cheese sandwich on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon. It’s a classic childhood favorite that most of us carry into adulthood, which means a properly prepared airfryer grilled cheese sandwich is a meal the entire family can enjoy.
I thought nothing could be better than a classic grilled cheese cooked in a cast iron skillet, that is, until I tried one in the air fryer. An air fryer grilled cheese sandwich provides a crispy, buttery outer layer with a cheesy, melty inner layer that creates the perfect sandwich without burning, over drying, or overcooking.
As a side note, I don’t eat gluten, and the air fryer toasts this delicious grilled cheese sandwich, creating a crispy outer layer on normally chewy gluten free bread.
- 2 slices of your favorite sliced cheese We used sharp cheddar
- 1-2 tbsp.butter
- 2 slices sliced bread
- Preheat air fryer for 1 minute at 390 degrees
- rub bottom of air fryer basket with butter
- place bread and cheese slices in basket
- spread butter on top of sandwich bread.
- cook for 3 minutes at 390 degrees
- flip sandwich over, add butter to top of bread
- cook for 2 more minutes