Whether eaten with a side of your favorite chips or paired with a bowl of steamy tomato or vegetable soup, there’s nothing better than a crunchy, melty, buttery grilled cheese sandwich on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon. It’s a classic childhood favorite that most of us carry into adulthood, which means a properly prepared air fryer grilled cheese sandwich is a meal the entire family can enjoy.
I thought nothing could be better than a classic grilled cheese cooked in a cast iron skillet, that is, until I tried one in the air fryer. An air fryer grilled cheese sandwich provides a crispy, buttery outer layer with a cheesy, melty inner layer that creates the perfect sandwich without burning, over drying, or overcooking.
As a side note, I don’t eat gluten, and the air fryer toasts this delicious grilled cheese sandwich, creating a crispy outer layer on normally chewy gluten free bread.
This is the good cheese crunchy version of the american grilled cheese cooked in your air fryer. You have to try this, the air fryer makes the bread nice and crunchy with the cheese nice and melted.
- 2 slices of your favorite sliced cheese We used sharp cheddar
- 1-2 tbsp.butter
- 2 slices sliced bread
- Preheat air fryer for 1 minute at 390 degrees
- rub bottom of air fryer basket with butter
- place bread and cheese slices in basket
- spread butter on top of sandwich bread.
- cook for 3 minutes at 390 degrees
- flip sandwich over, add butter to top of bread
- cook for 2 more minutes