The humble apple dumpling is a southern favorite with a vast array of recipes, techniques, and crust preferences. Whether you dice, core, or half or prefer pie crust to puff pastry, apple dumplings are always a favorite among guests and can be dressed up or down to suit any occasion. Regardless of preference, nothing tastes better than a warm apple dumpling fresh out of the air fryer.
“Why air fry an apple dumpling?” you may ask.
The answer is simple: a to-die-for crispy crust.
In fact, the air fryer provides the perfect finish, cooking all sides of the crust, as well as the apple filling, evenly, which is difficult to achieve in a conventional oven. You can also shave about ten minutes off the time by using an air fryer. Served with two scoops of vanilla bean ice cream at a summer cookout or drizzled with a decadent caramel sauce at a dinner party, these delicious apple dumplings make the perfect dessert sure to please any crowd.
Ingredients for Apple Dumpling
- 2 apples, peeled, cored, and diced
- 1 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 2 Sheets Puff Pastry (found in frozen section of grocery store)
- 2 tbsp butter
- optional: cinnamon to taste
*To save time, you could also use canned apple pie filling. Just make sure to seal the pastry thoroughly to avoid leaks during the cooking process.
Directions for making Apple Dumpling Dessert
- lay puff pastry out flat
- put diced apple in center in a circle
- place brown sugar into center of apples
- fold pastry over and roll up the sides into a circular shape around the apples
- brush melted butter onto pastry
- cook in air fryer at 365 degrees for 12 minutes (in this demonstration we used a Chefman RJ38-P1)
- flip dumpling over
- continue cooking for 12-13 more minutes at 365 degrees
- take out and enjoy