If you love Chinese food, a crisp, flavorful egg roll is the perfect appetizer or side dish to your meal. Typically deep fried or pan fried, these tasty veggie-filled wraps take a nice long soak in hot oil, which depletes the nutritional value of the cabbage, carrots, and mushrooms inside.
However, by using an air fryer, you can cook these delicious vegetarian egg rolls in only minutes.
This recipe calls for only two mists of cooking spray, which reduces the use of unhealthy oils and the consumption of unnecessary fats. Thanks to the rapid air technology of an air fryer, you can enjoy a perfectly cooked vegetarian egg roll with none of the guilt.
Serve as an appetizer for guests or in addition to your favorite Chinese dish, like our General Wong’s Beef & Broccoli, for a tasty treat or quick, healthy meal.
Not a vegetarian? No problem! Simply add ground pork, chicken, or shrimp to the mixture and enjoy!
hand made vegetarian egg rolls prepared in an air fryer
- 3 Cups shredded cabbage
- 1 large shredded carrot
- 1 package coleslaw mix to save prep time
- 3-4 whole mushrooms I used regular, but shiitake are great, too
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 tbsp vegetable or sesame oil
- 1 tsp. Sesame oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- Salt to taste
- 1 package Egg roll wrappers located in the produce dept. at most grocery stores
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cold water and cornstarch. Set aside.
- In a large non-stick skillet or wok, heat the vegetable oil and add cabbage, carrots, mushrooms, and garlic.
- Saute until tender. Add the sesame oil, soy sauce, sugar, and salt. Saute another 2-3 minutes until the filling is well mixed. Drain and place mixture into a large bowl.
- On a flat surface, turn the egg roll wrapper in a diamond shape, spooning 3 tablespoons of the filling into the center of the wrapper.
- Fold tightly until your wrapper looks like an open envelop. Seal edges with cornstarch mixture from first step. Continue rolling tightly and seal again with the cornstarch mixture.
- Repeat until filling is gone.
- Spray the basket of your air fryer with cooking spray. In a single layer, place egg rolls in basket. Spray the tops of the egg rolls with cooking spray.
Cook at 390° F / 199° C for 8 minutes.
Enjoy this quick how to on making the Homemade Egg Rolls in Air Fryer